LEVEL 5 GRAMMAR, FEBRUARY 13, 2018

IN this class, we looked at the present perfect and the present perfect continuous for actions or states that started in the past and continued to the present....

Present Perfect Simple
I have know my friend for 15 years.
How long have you been here?

Present Perfect Continuous
I have been studying English for 10 years.
How long have you been working here?



There are a number of differences......

If we want to emphasise the result of the action, we use the Simple
I have made three cakes today. (I have the cakes, they are complete)

If we want to emphasise the action or activity itself, we use the Continuous
I have been studying all day. (that is what I have been doing, there is no result mentioned)


Also, there are certain verbs that we do not use in the Continuous
State Verbs: Be, Have
Senses; see, hear, touch, taste,
Verbs of cognition: believe, understand, etc...

We especially practiced the verb Have
How long have you had......?

More practice here.....

Homework is p.67, no. 2 and 3


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

LEVEL 4 GRAMMAR, APRIL 27, 2017

LEVEL 4 GRAMMAR, 22-02-18