LEVEL 4 GRAMMAR, APRIL 27, 2017

We began by revising the Past Continuous

was
were      +              verb-ing

We often use it with the Past simple to talk about a longer action interrupted by a shorter action...

I was cooking dinner when the phone rang.


We then read about a farmer and his sons on p.

In this story we saw examples of the Past Perfect

When their father had died, the sons looked for the treasure.

The Past Perfect is made from

had + past participle (3rd part of the verb)

We often use it with the Past Simple - the past perfect tells us what happened before the action in the past simple....

My friend rang me at 6.30pm and invited me to dinner, but I had just eaten.

We then looked at making sentences to talk about causes and consequences, using the past perfect and the past simple....We used "because" and "so" to connect the ideas

I was tired because I had not slept, so I fell asleep in class.
I was hungry because I had not eaten breakfast, so I had a big lunch.

More practice here.

had + past participle (third form of the verb)





compare....
When I got home, the children went to bed. - I arrived home first, then the children went to bed.

When I got home, the children had gone to bed. - The children went to bed before I arrived home. 

More practice here


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

LEVEL 4 GRAMMAR, 10 MAY, 2018

LEVEL 4 GRAMMAR, NOVEMBER 16TH, 2017